March 15, 2021
Article : 003387
This article provides instructions for administrators on how to set up custom answering rules for the company auto receptionist.
Multi-condition advanced call handling or custom answering rules offer powerful call management capabilities using conditions based on time of day, date range, incoming caller ID and called number. Custom Call Handling Rules are applied before the Business Hours and After-Hours rules.
Set up a company custom rule
To set up custom answering rules for the company IVR, follow the steps below:
1. Log in to the Rainbow Office online account as an administrator
2. In the Admin Portal page, go to Phone System > Auto-Receptionist > General Settings > IVR Settings
3. Under Custom Answering Rules, click Add Custom Rule
4. Click Add Rule
5. Select and configure the condition(s) to trigger the custom rule, then click Next
6. Select the action to be performed based on your selected condition(s):
○ Play company greeting
○ Bypass greeting and go to extension
Defining the conditions
There are three different configurable conditions to trigger the custom answering rule.
The Date and/or Time condition is based when the call is received on the day of the week and time of the day, or on a specific date range. This is commonly used to set up vacation and holiday schedules. There are two options in this condition:
● Weekly Schedule - allows you to select the specific day of the week and a specific time to apply the custom rule. If your Custom Rule's time range crosses past midnight it is best to set this manually per day that the rule will apply instead of using the Copy to Weekdays link
● Specific Date Range - allows you to designate a date when the custom rule begins and ends
The Caller ID condition is based on calls coming from specific phone numbers. You can create a list of phone numbers to be used for this setting. For this condition to properly trigger, the calling phone numbers must be set to show their Caller ID. You can use a partial number, such as just the area code, to filter a broader range of numbers. Contacts from your address book can be added by typing their names or numbers. Multiple Caller IDs can be added on the list.
The Called Number condition is based on what phone number is dialed by the calling party. You can designate multiple phone numbers to trigger this condition.
Configuring the call handling action
After defining the conditions to trigger the custom answering rule, the next step is to configure how the call will be handled. There are two options for this.
Play Company Greeting - plays the default or a custom company greeting with additional settings.
1. Select Play company greeting, and the click Set Greeting to set up what your callers will hear
2. When you click Set Greeting, you will be able to see the default greeting that Rainbow Office will play to your callers. Click Custom to use your own greeting. You can record the custom greeting over the phone, through your computer microphone, or you can upload an audio file
3. Define what will happen when callers enter no action after the company greeting has finished playing. You have two options:
○ Connect to Operator - select this option if you want to direct callers to the Operator Extension
○ Disconnect - select this option if you want to disconnect the caller after the greeting repeats three times
4. Click Done
Bypass greeting and go to extension - routes the calls directly to your preferred extension
1. Click Select Extension
2. Select the extension where you want your calls to be routed, then click Done
Manage company custom rules
If there are other existing company custom rules in place, the number and their status will be displayed accordingly for immediate viewing. To make any changes to the custom rules, click Edit Custom Rule.
The following actions can be performed:
● Disable the rules - click the corresponding toggle switch to disable/enable the rule
● Delete the rules - click Delete to permanently remove the rule
● Edit the rules - click Edit to reconfigure its settings
● Check for conflicts - click Validate Rules to check for any possible conflicts or duplicates with other existing rules