March 15, 2021
Article : 008294
This article provides instructions on how to resolve if calls are going directly to your voicemail.
● Phones are not ringing
● Calls go directly to voicemail even if presence status is set to Available
● Unable to get any calls and only getting voicemail messages
● Receiving reports that people have been contacting
Any of the following may cause calls not to ring your intended device or app and result in going straight to voicemail.
● Do not disturb is turned on or enabled
● User hours and regional settings are not configured correctly
● Call forwarding is not configured or enabled
● Custom greeting for voicemail was uploaded to the user greeting settings
● Existing custom call handling rules configuration
Listed below are the things you need to check to resolve and prevent this issue.
Do not disturb is turned on or enabled
The intended function of DND is to route all incoming calls to voicemail. Verify that DND is turned off or disabled on the following platforms:
● Rainbow Office Online Account
1. Log in to the Rainbow Office online account
2. Click on your account name and select Take all calls
● Rainbow Office Phone app
1. Launch the Rainbow Office Phone app on your desktop and log in to your account
2. Tap your profile picture then tap Available
● Rainbow Office mobile app
1. Launch the Rainbow Office mobile app and login to your account
2. Tap the profile picture or hamburger button and ensure that your presence status is set to Available
● Check the Do Not Disturb settings in your desk phone
User hours and regional settings are not configured correctly
● Incorrect user hours and time zone may result in calls going to voicemail because your extension is detected as unavailable and will thus follow your settings for after-hours instead. Ensure that the user hours and regional settings are correctly configured. Check if the user's hours are set to your correct business hours. For regional settings, ensure that you have selected the correct time zone.
Call forwarding is not configured or enabled
● Ensure that the voicemail is not configured to go to a mobile phone. This prompts the user to press 1 to connect to the call when answering on their cellphones. If the user does not respond or press 1, the call will not be answered and will not be directed to the mobile phone voicemail box.
● For your incoming call information, ensure direct calls under the play announcement before connecting are selected to non-Rainbow Office phones only.
1. Go to Call Handling & Forwarding > Settings > Incoming call information
2. Click Edit
3. Select the Play Announcement tab
4. Select for non-Rainbow Office phone calls only under Direct calls then click Save
Custom greeting for voicemail was uploaded to the user greeting settings
If you plan to use a custom voicemail greeting, ensure that it is uploaded only to the Voicemail Greeting settings under your extension's Messages section. Double-check that it was not uploaded accidentally to the User Greeting setting as this would result in all callers immediately hearing the custom greeting, making it seem that they reached your voicemail immediately. Follow the steps below:
1. Go to Screening, Greeting & Hold Music
2. Click the Edit button under User Greeting
3. Ensure that Set Greeting is set to Default. In case you have a custom greeting for user greeting settings, play the audio greeting back to make sure that the file you imported is correct
Existing custom call handling rules configuration
Custom call handling rules will override your standard call forwarding settings if their conditions are met. Follow the steps below to check for any custom rules:
1. Go to Custom Rules settings under Call Handling and Forwarding
2. Turned off any holiday rules you've set for the calls to go through
3. For any custom rules which are enabled/active, double-check their settings and conditions to ensure that they are supposed to work as intended
4. Reboot your desk phone, mobile phone, or computer to refresh the connection