Zibatra Logistik AG
High-performance access points and external sector antennas ensure optimal WLAN coverage.
- País: Suiza
- Sector: Transporte
- Solución: Autonomous Network, Business Continuity
Zibatra Logistik AG maintains its own fleet of vehicles and ten warehouses at various locations in Switzerland. Its core business is the transport and storage of goods. Having opened its first bicycle workshop in 2012, Zibatra followed up in 2017 with the launch of nationwide B2B and B2C logistics for assembled and unassembled bicycles.
While Zibatra’s WLAN had served its purpose reliably for a long time, its components had reached their end of life. Zibatra required a new efficient and cost-effective WLAN solution. It needed to cover the offices and the 27,000 square metres of warehouse space spread across five floors at the company's headquarters in Rickenbach/SO. The new WLAN would be integrated and managed jointly with the existing LAN. The changeover had to take place within a very short time in a full warehouse with shift operations.
The Swiss ALE partner AEK Build Tec AG implemented the new WLAN solution. Alcatel-Lucent OmniAccess® Stellar Access Points (APs) with external sector antennas were chosen for optimal signal coverage. Unlike omnidirectional antennas, whose signal would be shielded by the rows of shelves, the sector antennas concentrate the WLAN signal in the aisles of the pallet warehouse where the employees pick the goods. The existing LAN switches were included in the new centralised network management. They can now be controlled together with the warehouse WLAN and the guest WLAN. Due to meticulous planning, extensive testing in advance and high manpower resources, the migration was realised within half a working day. Access points and antennas had previously been mounted on PVC panels, which were completely replaced on site. Since the ceilings are seven metres high, lifting platforms were used for safety reasons.
- Optimum WLAN signal coverage through external sector antennas
- Centralised network management of LAN, warehouse WLAN and guest WLAN for streamlined monitoring and troubleshooting
- Fast migration from existing WLAN
- Support/spare parts/expansion are secured (again) for the foreseeable future
- Cost-effective WLAN solution: Deployment of sector antennas reduces the number of required access points
- High performance: No idle time in the warehouse, saving time and money
- Investment protection: WLAN can be dynamically expanded in small steps to many times its volume
User Experience Benefits
- IT manager can see what is happening in the warehouse from the office and configure, install and test new devices (such as scan guns)
- Availability of the WLAN significantly improved: While not all areas in the warehouse were covered before, employees can now work everywhere
Productos & Soluciones
- Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch® 6860, 6350 and 6450 LAN Switches
- Alcatel-Lucent OmniAccess Stellar AP1221 WLAN Access Points
- Alcatel-Lucent OmniAccess Stellar AP1222 WLAN Access Points with Sector Antennas Ant-S-M4-60
- Alcatel-Lucent OmniVista® 2500 Network Management System
Zibatra Logistik AG short case study
This case study explains how Zibatra Logistik implemented a new WLAN solution to ensure optimal signal coverage in the warehouse and reliable performance.