California State University investing in the future of education
- 국가: 미국
- 산업: 교육
- 해결책: 데이터 센터
California State University system makes up the largest four year university system in the U.S. With over 20 campuses across the state servicing nearly 500,000 users, the CSU Chancellors Office recognized the need for a network upgrade and a long-term, transformable, and dependable investment.
User Experience Benefits:
- The selection and standardization of best of breed products for WLAN, Firewall and LAN switch has optimized the IT/network services delivery, cost and as result, the user experience. There has been budget for new increased port speeds, new POE types, new LAN services, next generation firewalls and next generation WLAN evolution. All the network elements have stayed state of the art even with budget constraints and the user experience has been enhanced by every element of the network.
- Many backbone, server and border router connections have been upgraded to 10Gbps resulting in faster downloads, less latency, less time to do backups, and less congestion. Most important is the benefit to be able to introduce more services like video, unified communications, CCTV (security IP cameras), high definition TV in the network and BYODs devices.
- Many edge switch ports have been upgraded to POE/POE+, eliminating the need for extra power supplies and cabling to WLAN access points and VoIP handsets.
- Cal State’s goal was to assure the network was current and flexible, while supporting objectives of academia and administration. The functional requirements included operational simplicity, low total cost of ownership (TCO), minimal operating systems and command line structures, and a commitment to standards.
- The winning bid from Alcatel-Lucent Enterprise saved and estimated $100 Million from the Cisco bid, while delivering fully on the requirements.