Liverpool City Region Combined Authority
IoT-ready network infrastructure supports mission-critical applications, improving traveller experience and operational efficiency.
- Country: United Kingdom
- Industry: Transportation
- Solution: Harsh Environments
Liverpool City Region Combined Authority (LCRCA) - the combined authority of the Liverpool City region - has devolved power and strategic responsibility for the transport, economic development and regeneration of an area of 1.6 million people.
Working together with its constituent authorities and the local enterprise partnership, LCRCA delivers investments that have a real impact on local communities, in areas as diverse as transport, employment, culture, digital and housing.
The authority’s aging network infrastructure was at the end of its operational life, out of manufacturer support and unable to support new applications. It was becoming increasingly difficult to introduce much-needed new technologies to the network. This included support for mission-critical Internet of Things (IoT), such as CCTV, traffic management systems, fire and smoke detection, and SCADA (supervisory control and data acquisition control system) in the road tunnels; as well as toll services like Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) and Intercom System integration. Additionally, the new system needed to be future-proofed to support ongoing development plans.
The entire transformation process needed to be completed while ensuring continuity of service both for operators and customers; especially for mission-critical systems like operational control, emergency roadside telephones in tunnels, back office communications, ticketing, public address and traveller information.
The ALE team worked closely with LCRCA’s IT team and key stakeholders for more than 18 months to understand all the requirements and roadmap, allowing them to design an optimal and innovative network solution and demonstrate how the ALE infrastructure would support existing and future applications and developments.
The resulting solution was able to accommodate the authority’s future aspirations, including ship-to-shore communications and connectivity for river ferries, new cloud application support and smart ticketing expansion for public transport.
- Simplified operations thanks to a mixture of enterprise and ruggedised equipment with Shortest Path Bridging (SPB) at the core
- High return on investment (ROI) and lower Total Cost of Ownership (TCO), while delivering a world-class, multiservice, mission-critical network within a predefined budget
User experience benefits
- Increased operational efficiencies from a single management platform, allowing the IT core team to easily deploy, manage, and maintain the network
- Enhanced traveller experience - from smart ticketing to concessionary card production
Products & Solutions
- Alcatel-Lucent OmniPCX® Enterprise Communication Server
- Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch® 6900 Stackable LAN Switch
- Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch® 6450 Stackable Gigabit Ethernet LAN Switch
- Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch® 6865 Hardened Ethernet Switch
- Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch® 6860E Stackable LAN Switch
- Alcatel-Lucent OmniVista® 2500 Network Management as a Service
Liverpool City Region Combined Authority Customer Story
IoT-ready network infrastructure supports mission-critical applications improving traveller experiences and operational efficiency.