FH Campus Wien
University of applied sciences integrates new building quickly and smoothly into its network.
- Country: Austria
- Industry: Education
FH Campus Wien is the largest university of applied sciences in Austria. It offers Bachelor’s and Master's Degree programmes, as well as continuing education courses organised into seven departments. These include: Applied Life Sciences, Applied Nursing Science, Building and Design, Health Sciences, Social Work, and Engineering, as well as Administration, Economics, Security, Politics. FH Campus Wien is spread over three Viennese locations.
In a record construction time of only 16 months, FH Campus Wien erected a 20,800-square-metre building as an extension to its main location. This created the largest location, which will continue to grow, of any university of applied sciences in Austria. A network infrastructure was required for the new building and integrated into the existing network. FH Campus Wien evaluated two suppliers’ products. In addition to functionality, price and delivery time were important selection criteria. The bid from Alcatel-Lucent Enterprise and Business Partner NTT Austria came out on top and was contracted through the Federal Procurement Agency in early 2022.
The project was realised in summer 2022 in stages, depending on the progress of construction. To facilitate installation on the construction site, all components were pre-configured and temporarily stored in a structured manner in the order in which they were to be installed later. Although the new switches manage stacking differently than the ones FH Campus Wien used before, everything worked smoothly. Despite water damage on the construction site, the network was already up and running in July 2022, in time for the occupation of the new building in August and the start of the semester in September. Configuration and installation were carried out by the IT team of FH Campus Wien, while NTT Austria supplied the components and provided technical support as required.
- Uniformity throughout the network: All switches used are from ALE
- The power supply unit of the new switches is plugged in, not soldered, and can be exchanged if necessary. A second power supply unit can be inserted, which increases fail safety.
- When end devices are plugged into a port, the server recognises the users and automatically connects them to their network (802.1X)
- LACP bundles physical cables into a logical connection. This increases the usable bandwidth and system availability.
- Alcatel-Lucent Operating System (AOS) provides a uniform software platform for all network components
- Flexibly scalable infrastructure
- Future-proof, as potential future requirements are covered
- Investment protection with service guarantee up to five years after end-of-life
User experience benefits
- Central network management for all components saves IT resources
- Although more than 90 switches have been added, the overall effort for configuration and ongoing operation did not increase
Case Study FH Campus Wien
Learn how the university of applied sciences seamlessly integrated a new building into its network