Delivering secure, sustainable digital transformation solutions across transportation ecosystems for a greener tomorrow.
When the world stopped moving for the better part of two years, we saw oil-slicked waters turn from grey to green and pollution-streaked skies turn from brown to blue. In a world forced to slow-down we saw the possibility of rejuvenation. It’s a lesson we must now heed as we move forward. As industries ramp to normalcy, I believe we need to consider a new normal. One in which digital transformation helps transportation organisations involved in railway operations, air transportation, Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS), and seaports, evolve toward sustainable, secure, efficient, greener operations.
7 opportunities for greener transport
Greener transportation must be designed from the ground up. It must consider the carbon impact holistically. IT systems must be smarter, increase efficiency and minimise impacts on the environment before, during, and after deployment. However, these objectives cannot be achieved by simply adding individual technologies in an ad-hoc way.
Understanding the unique requirements and addressing each of their specific challenges with secure, end-to-end solutions that connect systems and sub-systems across partner ecosystems and global divides to reduce their carbon footprint is key.
Today we’re at a crossroads where opportunity meets motivation. Following are seven ways transportation organisations can make conscious choices about their IT systems, to actively move toward a greener tomorrow, today.
1. Adopt energy-conscious digital solutions that require less power, manage power better and reduce heat dissipation.
2. Reduce the size of hardware, miniaturise components, and densify ports to reduce materials and space requirements.
3. Virtualise technologies to eliminate the need for some hardware altogether.
4. Shift to the cloud to reduce space and energy requirements and leverage sustainable data centres.
5. Optimise architectures and product life cycles to maximise longevity and reduce waste.
6. Choose eco-friendly packaging materials that can be easily recycled.
7. Comply with environmental directives for product end-of-life and disposal.
Alcatel-Lucent Enterprise technology has an active role in helping to create our greener future. Together we work with our supplier, partner, and customer organisations and ecosystems to reduce digital pollution, improve waste management and decrease energy consumption across the entire value chain.
Also, as in past, ALE continues to improve its EcoVadis Sustainability rating with a 2022 score of 65/100, positioning it in the 90th percentile, and among the top 10 telecom manufacturers.
Every step we take today, impacts what tomorrow will look like, for us, for our children and for their children.
Download our white paper, Smarter, greener, more secure transportation through digital transformation, to learn more about how we’re helping transport operators create a sustainable, greener tomorrow.