Rockville Center School District
Rockville Centre Schools enhanced the learning environment with Wi-Fi and phones in each classroom using ALE solutions.
- Country: United States Of America
- Industry: Education
- Solution: Autonomous Network
Rockville Centre School District (RVC) is widely recognized as one of the top performing school districts in the state of New York and the country. With seven K-12 schools serving approximately 3500 students and an 11-to-1 student-toteacher ratio, RVC has focused on technology to ignite their students’ passion for learning.
Schools are often faced with budget challenges and need to make hard decisions. RVC chose to save money on paper and books, using the savings to provide a tablet to each student in grades 4-12. Implementing this ‘one-toone device to student relationship’ (i.e., 1:1 program) required an adaptable, reliable and scalable wireless local area network (WLAN) where each room, in every building – including large group instruction locations like the gym, cafeteria, and auditoriums - could offer reliable Wi-Fi access. That meant over 300 additional WLAN access points were needed across the district.
In the meantime, RVC had added classrooms at the high school and needed to expand the phone network. The goal was to have a phone in every classroom. To do this they leveraged the existing Alcatel-Lucent PBX system to integrate new IP phones with the existing digital handsets while delivering the same features such as conference calling and dial-by-name directory assistance.
User experience benefits:
- As part of the 1:1 program, RVC can extend the school day for students, allowing them to log in from home, access the internal network, submit homework, and message teachers. In addition, while remotely connected to the district, internet access is filtered, protecting against inappropriate content.
- This deployment has enabled them to implement teaching with technology that has resulted in a positive effect throughout the typical school day for students, faculty, staff, and administration.
- When implementing a 1:1 program, WLAN design is a critical component. RVC deployed a dedicated access point in each classroom to ensure teachers and students remain connected throughout the building. ALE’s solution provides sticky client avoidance, load balancing, fast roaming, voice/video awareness and security. The ALE solution also provides automated features, making network management easier for IT.
- Schools are always watching budgets, with total cost of ownership a paramount concern. With a hybrid phone system, RVC was able to add phones only where needed, and implement soft-phone pilots over the new WLAN.
Products & Solutions
- Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch® 6900
- Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch® 6860
- Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch® 6450
- Alcatel-Lucent OmniAccess® Access Points
- Alcatel-Lucent OmniVista® 2500 Network Management System
- Alcatel-Lucent IP, digital and softphones
- Alcatel-Lucent Emergency Notification Server
Rockville Centre School District Case Study
This short case study describes how Rockville Centre Schools expanded its communications network with Wi-Fi and phones in each classroom to enhance the learnin…