Transportation authorities will need to think ahead to ensure the networks built today can handle the requirements of tomorrow.
Imagine a world that’s easy to navigate: Easy to get to work, easy to get home, easy to get the kids to soccer practice and easy to head out on the open highway. Intelligent transportation systems coupled with some really interesting applications can make all of this a reality.
While some apps will be critical to how we move safely through traffic, others will just make our lives a little bit easier. For example:
• Synchronizing traffic signals can create continuous traffic flow which will reduce the start/stop that we are all used to. At the same time it will reduce fuel use and emissions. Good for us. Good for the environment.
• Communications between vehicles lets cars using cruise control move as a group, avoids the speed-up, slow-down and erratic passing, and will create a safer travel environment for everyone.
• EMR will be able to more quickly, detect and react to emergency incidents with better communications and coordination of the responders on the ground.
• Ride sharing (similar to Uber except that it will be dynamic) will match drivers with riders for quicker response.
• Smart parking will let drivers reserve and pay for a spot using sensors and smartphone-enabled payment. Who doesn’t want that?
Increased connectivity on our system of highways will pave the way for Intelligent Transportation Systems and networks that can help relieve congestion and help us move more easily and safely in our environment.
A network ready to roll
Based on the applications we are seeing today, it’s easy to imagine an exponential unleashing of applications in the not too distant future. But just think about what that will mean to the network.
To make these applications a reality, Intelligent Transport Systems will require reliable, secure and scalable networks that can link cameras, sensors, signage, signaling and vehicles to remote data centers and traffic operations centers. And, in many cases these networks will be deployed in harsh environments which can create a whole other set of challenges that will have to be dealt with.
Transportation authorities will need to think ahead to ensure the networks built today can handle the requirements of tomorrow. For example:
• ITS systems will need high bandwidth capacity to handle video applications to respond to user demands during road incidents, congestion and other high usage requirements.
• With the large number of sensors, cameras and other connected devices Power over Ethernet (PoE) will be required on access switches to reduce cabling and simplify installation and maintenance.
• Ethernet switching will be exposed to the extremes of the outdoors. Equipment will need to be ruggedized and have built-in capacity to expand as new applications, sensors and devices are developed and installed by the roadside.
The possibilities unfolding with the intersection of digital technologies and vehicles is getting more exciting every day. Vehicles are getting smarter. Highways are getting smarter and together they will make navigating the roadways a safer and more pleasant experience for everyone.
ALE has a range of solutions for deploying networks that support ITS applications: from network management and data center solutions, to core and edge switches. Open standards and interfaces ensure our solutions interoperate as they should which means you are ready to handle the applications of today and tomorrow.
To take a deeper dive on the need, the network and the apps, download the app note, Building future-proof networks for intelligent transportation systems.
Smart cities that adopt a plan for connected transportation have the opportunity to create easy to navigate, safe and secure highways.
Adapting to our new normal means thinking outside the box. eSports provide new opportunities for students to interact, learn, and have some fun along the way.
Hotspot tracking and contact tracing enables businesses to re-open while keeping employees and customers safe.
A hybrid work environment provides the flexibility and security to get your business back to business-as-usual
Digital transformation enables university campuses to create a smart, safe, secure and successful community for students and faculty.
Thanks to always-on Wi-Fi capabilities from Alcatel-Lucent Enterprise, NTT Pro Cycling stays connected, regardless of the environment