Volusia County Government
Volusia County Government wanted to replace its dated infrastructure with a centralized and uniform communications solution.
- Country: United States Of America
- Industry: Government
- Solution: Connected Solutions and Devices
Business Partner: Morse Communications, Inc
Volusia County is home to over 500,000 people with 47 miles of Atlantic Ocean beaches. Water sports are plentiful, and Volusia's oceanfront communities are famous for land sports, notably auto racing. The county’s racing tradition continues today at Daytona International Speedway, one of the world's finest racing facilities and the home of the world-famous Daytona 500.
Calling is an essential part of how the County conducts business to deliver services to our citizens. The ALE communication solution simplifies communications and delivers a homogeneous user experience to internal and external users. We are more effective today than we were before.
- The Volusia County Government has 50+ buildings and telephony is critical for carrying out their day-to-day operations.The county had an aging communications infrastructure which it considered replacing for years before launching a tender in 2010.
- With different solutions at each site, the county suffered from uneven user experience and increased cost with different vendor and maintenance contracts.
- The county government wanted a centralized and uniform solution to simplify internal and external communications and reduce maintenance complexity and costs.
- Centralization and use of one system across Volusia has greatly simplified management and maintenance, and reinforced the effectiveness of preventative maintenance.
- Built-in redundancy offers continuity in case of natural disasters, which are common in Florida.
- The solution includes call routing, replacing the complicated call routing configuration that spanned across the three legacy phone systems.
- Volusia now has one maintenance contract. Maintenance needs have been reduced and centralized, freeing staff to focus on value-added initiatives.
- Carrier costs were reduced by 20%, representing savings of over $100,000.
- The county has also cut re-cabling costs thanks to the implementation of VoIP.
User experience benefits:
- A uniform user experience is being delivered across the county, enabling staff to connect to deliver efficient, reliable public services.
- Internal calls are easier to make because of the online phonebook and QWERTY keyboards on the handsets.
- The auto attendant is the same throughout the county, ensuring a consistent user experience for external callers.
Volusia County Government's Success Story
This success story demonstrates how Volusia County Government implemented a new centralized communications solution to simplify management and maintenance.