A reliable, secure, and highly available network and communications solution supports Metz Eurometropolis digital transformation
- Country: France
- Industry: Government
- Solution: Autonomous Network, WiFi Solutions, Cloud Communications, Business Continuity
Metz Eurometropolis is a French metropolis in the Moselle area in the Grand Est region. The Metz IT service is shared between the Eurometropole and the town hall. It serves 80 public administrative buildings.
Metz Eurometropolis wanted to modernise the existing metropolitan network infrastructure in order to:
- Ensure critical services continuity
- Enable new uses such as Wi-Fi connectivity or mobility for 3000 staff and visitors
- Maintain communications continuity by enabling widespread remote working during and after the crisis
- Make services available quickly for emergency facilities such as a vaccination centre
- Securely link all users and connected objects in different buildings
- Manage the complexity of the different sub-networks and equipment in terms of deployment, availability and security
After the switch to optic fiber, the objective of the Metz Eurometropolies IT Systems Management team was to offer network and communications services to all public officers on a single infrastructure, meeting the criteria of reliability, security, and availability. This would form the basis for offering new services to citizens and simplifying the management of a constantly evolving network.
Today, many public services and approximately 200 job profiles benefit from network and communications services. Several critical services are hosted on the network and require continuous operation, such as the Municipal Police and the vaccination center. To ensure this continuity, our Business Partner NXO accompanies the IT team in strategic network upgrades.
Wi-Fi connectivity for administrative buildings users and support for over 4000 connected objects was the second step. Citizen wi-fi services in public buildings will follow shortly. To ensure adoption success, a digital inclusion project for citizens is being developed.
The network transformation also ensured a successful transition to remote work for the Eurometropolis public officers during the health crisis, when Rainbow was adopted by more than 500 public officers. To facilitate the transition, a transformation ALE coach accompanied the customer through a gradual adoption and our Business Partner Quonex Alsatel trained designated ambassadors with video tutorials.
The OmniVista NMS solution helps the IT team monitor the entire LAN and Wi-Fi network, as well as to back up and update the 190 switches, making reactive and proactive network management a lot easier.
The future: A more intelligent, autonomous and secure network will enable the Metz Eurometropolis to continue its transformation, to provide more security and new uses for public officers and citizens.
Financial and strategic benefits:
- Investment protection: Future-proof wired and wireless network, foundation for digital citizen services or smart city projects
- Seamless transition to remote work for a very large number of staff during and after the different health crisis waves
Enhanced user experience:
- New services, enhanced quality and interactions
- Improved IT efficiency as unified management allows devices on the LAN and WLAN to be configured at the same time
- Simplified proactive and reactive network deployment and management through a single point of management and control
- Improved overall network security
Products & Solutions
- Rainbow by Alcatel-Lucent Enterprise (500 users)
- Alcatel-Lucent OmniAccess Stellar WLAN Access Points: AP 1221, AP 1231, AP 1331
- Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch: OmniSwitch 6900X40, OmniSwitch 6900X72, OmniSwitch 6900X48, OmniSwitch 6860E, OmniSwitch 6450, OmniSwitch 6850, OmniSwitch 6560
- Around 2,500 telephone terminals including Premium DeskPhones 8028 and 8058
- Alcatel-Lucent OmniPCX® Enterprise
- Alcatel-Lucent OmniPCX RECORD Suite
- Alcatel-Lucent OmniVista 2500 Network Management System (NMS)
- ProActive Lifecycle Management (PALM)
Find the solution that meets your needs
Metz Eurometropolis Short Case Study
A reliable, secure and highly available network and communications solution
The Metz Eurometropolis long case study
The Metz Eurometropole IT service is shared between the Eurometropole and the town hall. It serves 80 public administrative buildings. Their wish was to modern…