Universidad de Extremadura
The Alcatel-Lucent Enterprise solution was the perfect answer for the University’s needs. Alcatel-Lucent Enterprise could combine the same equipment for both data center and network.
- Country: Spain
- Industry: Education
- Solution: Data Center
Universidad de Extremadura is a public university founded in 1973. The university consists of 19 centers organized across 4 campuses.
It has approximately 20,000 undergraduate and graduate students, with a further 8,000 students taking PhD courses, specific degrees or continuous improvement courses.
It employs 1,900 teachers and more than 1,000 administrative, technical and services staff.
The new Data Center network enables the IT Department to provide better access to storage and applications to students, faculty and employees.
- To install a network based on simplicity, resiliency and automated management, that would provide improved user experience across its 4 campuses.
- To provide storage and virtualization backup between the campuses of Badajoz and Caceres.
- To improve the daily activities of all people on campus.
- Universidad de Extremadura now has storage replication between 2 campuses that are 100 kilometers apart.
- The University has enhanced visibility and control over virtual machines.
- The ability to split user and data center traffic between campuses, using Shortest Path Bridging (SPB).
- Important cost savings have been made because the solution consolidates the data and storage infrastructure by using Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE) technology.
- Students have better remote access to the resources around the campus, improving their learning environment.
- The students, faculty and employees are provided with better access to storage and applications.
Products & Solutions
Universidad de Extremadura's Success Story
This short case study describes how Universidad de Extremadura has made important cost savings thanks to data and storage consolidation.